To inspect dies properly they must be thoroughly clean.
Wet blasting (or vapor blasting to give it its other name) is exceptionally good at cleaning dies because…
· It thoroughly removes all discolouration, caustic trace, and residual aluminium particles.
· Unlike dry blasting, dies don’t need to be dry before wet blasting.
· The aggressive nature of shot or wheel blasting can damage die edges. Thanks to the cushioning effect of water there’s no risk of that with wet blasting.
· It is particularly good at cleaning complex profiles.
· It creates a perfect surface for nitriding.
All these benefits make inspection and correction, easier, quicker, and more accurate - production runs are longer and there is less chance of failure and dies being pulled.
BTW, the image shows the effect of wet blasting a spacer, the effect is identical for an extrusion die.
Learn more about the benefits of cleaning dies by wet blasting on our dedicated industry page.